Friday, January 7, 2011
Wellness: 10 Things I Love
Back in the day I had some health issues that challenged my eating habits. When my body made me aware of the issue I had to make some changes to my diet. Prior to the issue I didn't really think a lot about what I ate. I never knew the health benefits of certain foods etc. Now, I am a big advocate for holistic health. I have a crazy dream of owning a women's wellness center where we focus on the complete well being of the human body. Having this type of approach can lead to a full life. My favorite verse is John 10:10 when Jesus says, "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I come that they may have life, and have it abundantly". Wow! What an AWESOME GOD we serve that he wants that for us.
I know some of us struggle with physical and mental problems that have been following us for years. Don't get me wrong, I understand that its a fight every day. I started changing things slowly in my life and have adapted from there. You can ask my friends that I am one of the first people to start eating every snack I see or ordering that big burger. I can often let myself eat whatever but I do try to come back to the plan I have created for myself. Some weeks I am down for the count and others I am walking the road I want to be on.
Now...on to the 10 things I love in no particular order!
1. Almond Butter-You must try this delicious and good for you treat. I always pair it with an apple.
2. Quinoa-Never tried it? You must! It's a whole grain that you can make very quickly. I make mine with olive oil, tomatoes, and green onions.
3. Reading-Yep, get those books out! Many people find reading to be fun and relaxing. I do! I love a good story!
4. Scripture memorization-Experience the power of memorizing Scripture from the Bible! Pick out verses that help you in every way.
5. Smoothies-I love them, I love them! You can't go wrong! Mix any fruit you want. I use a lot of frozen fruit in the winter. Tip-in the summer by a lot of fresh fruit and freeze it so you have plenty for the winter.
6. Connecting with people-I start to feel a bit down if I can't connect with the people I love. Ask a friend to go on a walk. Send them an email or note. People are a gift from God.
7. Say no to Jealousy and Bitterness-I struggle with this. I am sure we all do. Inviting those two things in your life means trouble. Walk away from the feeling, do something to combat the urge. I always tell myself, "Karen, choose life, not death". Meaning, I want growth in my life, not destruction.
8. Veggies-On a weekly basis I stand in the kitchen and cut up all my veggies for the week. I place them in containers and use them for my lunch every day. If you cut them all at one time, you have veggies for the whole week. No excuses for not eating them then.
9. Treat yourself- I like finding small ways to combat stress. For me its getting a facial, or buying a new cd, taking a nap, or going for a bike ride. Find healthy ways to treat yourself. :)
10. Pray and connect with God-Make time for your Creator because He is worthy of our praise! Get into a Bible Study, ask a friend to pray with you, do a devotional consistently. I know this is easier said then done, when I struggle with this I try to confess this to friends or ask God to help me connect again. He is faithful.
I got to 10 and realized I left out exercise! Whatever you do, make it fun. Walking, hiking, and Zumba are my favorites!
Thanks for reading and please post anything you do to walk your road of wellness!!!